Hot Chilli Woman

04/02/2012
Well, I said my blog was going to be typically me and this post is about as typical of me as I can get, LOL :D

At the beginning of the week I made "Glass Noodles with Minced Chicken" for dinner (except I used minced pork, because that's what we had in our freezer - this has no bearing on my story and is, for all intents and purposes, a useless fact, but I'm telling you anyway, ha ha).

Um..moving on...

Anyway, as I said, I made that dish for dinner which required the use of fresh chilli.  So there I was, happily scraping out the seeds and cutting up the chilli - not a care in the world!  During one point, I had my hand over the frying pan while I was cooking the meat and my little finger started hurting, so I pulled my hand away.

When I had finished cooking, I served up and we ate our delicious dinner.  Phew, that chilli had some bite, but it was SO good!

A short while later I realised my fingers were feeling rather unpleasant - somewhat of a tingling, burning sensation.  I didn't think much of it and went off to have a shower.  After my shower most of my hand was on fire and it wasn't until some time later, when I was sitting on the couch watching tv with an icepack wrapped around my hand, that I realised I had "chilli burn"!!!

The "chilli burn" continued to sting me for the next couple of days - it took three days all up for it to go away and it was driving me nuts the whole time!  The thing I find most amusing about this is that it didn't even occur to me when I was handling the chilli to put some gloves on!  I seem to have this thing where I do (and say) things without thinking them through first - it doesn't happen all the time, but when it does I can pretty much guarantee that I wish I had more forethought at the time *rolls eyes skyward and laughs*.

So, lesson learned - wear gloves next time ;)

I thought I would include the recipe I made - it has some really nice flavours to it and it's easier than anything to make.  Give it a go ;)


GLASS NOODLES WITH MINCED CHICKEN
Preparation time: 15 minutes.  Total cooking time: 10  minutes
Serves 4

125g bean vermicelli (glass noodles)
2 Tbsp oil
750g minced chicken
1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
1/4 cup (60ml) soy sauce
1/4 cup (60ml) hot chicken or vegetable stock
8 spring onions, finely chopped
2 small, fresh red chillies, seeded and finely chopped
1/3 cup (80ml) lime juice
3 Tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves
2 cups (200g) shredded iceburg lettuce
1 tomato, cut into wedges

  1. Cover the noodles with boiling water for 5 minutes, or until tender.  Drain, place in a bowl and chop roughly with scissors.
  2. Heat the oil in a wok or frying pan over high heat, add the chicken and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes, breaking up any lumps.  Reduce the heat to medium, add the ginger and cook for 2 minutes, or until chicken is cooked.  Add the soy sauce and stock and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and add the vermicelli, spring onion, chilli, lime juice and coriander. Stir to combine.
  3. Divide the lettuce among four bowls, top with the chicken mixture and arrange tomato over the top.

Nutrition per serve: Protein 46g; Fat 14g; Carbohydrate 11g; Dietary Fibre 2.5g; Cholesterol 94mg; 1516 kj (360 cal)




Love, light, blessings and fairy magic xo


3 comments:

Daylyn said...

I love your blog layout! It's so cute! I need to learn how to do this!! xoxo

Gypsy said...

mmm must admit to never having heard of Chili burn before, except my throat and stomach and maybe eyes now and then. learnt something new...

Stacey said...

Lulz, yep - it's caused by capsaican (the main ingredient in pepper spray)!!

Daylyn, thanks - it's so easy. If you ever need any help let me know ;)

Post a Comment