R.I.P Bunny

09/12/2011
Last night when I was on my way home from my Mums house I hit a bunny :(

I saw the little fellow from a short distance back and at the time I was travelling at about 90 kms/hr (I was going slower due to being in a forest area where kangaroos are prevalent and have a habit of jumping in front of cars!)

Anyway, I didn't want to do anything crazy at that speed, so I started applying the brakes, but my car just wasn't slowing down fast enough and I just knew that unless this bunny miraculously hopped out of my way impact was imminent.  The poor little thing had his back to me and was smack bang in the middle of my lane.

By the time he realised I was coming it was too late - my headlights washed over him, he got startled and stared hopping confusedly back towards me...oh the horror!!  I was saying "NO!" as he hit my bumper and then let out a little scream as he flew up onto my bonnet and flew off to the right of my car somewhere.  I couldn't see where he ended up as it was pitch black where I was driving.

I was truly mortified.

Of course, I keep replaying the scene over in my head wondering what I should have done differently.  If I had driven over to the wrong side of the road would that poor bunny have been safe?  I don't know and I never will.

I was telling my husband about the incident this morning (he was asleep by the time I got home last night).  He told me there are more where that one (the bunny) came from.  I tend to find that kind of statement rather harsh.  To me, I killed a living, breathing animal that has a soul and regardless of what some people might say, I do believe all animals have feelings in one way or another.

I know there are plenty more bunnies out there, but I care about the one that met its unfortunate demise on the bonnet of my car.

R.I.P little bunny.

Love, light, blessings and fairy magic xo

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Stacey.....just another reason why I adore you. You've got such a big heart! I would've felt the same way for the wee bunny! : ( My hubs probably would've said something similar. Little bunny would forgive you if he/she knew how kind hearted you are. You didn't mean to hit it dear!

HUGS!!!
<3 Melissa

Stacey said...

Aw, thanks Mel - it does help to hear that ♥

mina said...

Oh honey, sorry to hear that :( The main thing is you're okay. I have seen deaths when people try to avoid hitting animals in the road

Sending big hugs
xx

Stacey said...

Thanks Mina, you're a sweetie. I had it in my mind that I MUST NOT swerve to avoid the poor bunny and to be truthful, I am thankful for that little voice in my head that told me to calmly apply the brakes and hope for the best.

Thank you to both of you lovely gals for the hugs - I appreciate them xxx

Post a Comment